Friday, November 4, 2011

An Hour of Observation....

The other day I had a good hour to myself before I had some clients come in for the small group session. I decided to spend my hour to observe what other people were doing for their workouts. I am always up for watching to see if people are doing things that I can add into my programming. Anyway, I sat and started watching and here's what I saw...


- An overweight girl trying to run her legs into the ground in hopes of trying to get that last 50lbs off before the holidays

- A guy who I watched perform 18 consecutive sets on the seated cable fly machine

- Another kid perform 9 different curling exercises in row and the proceed to lift his sleeve up to see if he lost any weight.

- A women who had a C-Spine like no other crunching away on the floor for a good 35 minutes.

-Then there was two college kids who were talking about how hungover they were from the night before while they texted and sat on the chest press machine for a good 25 minutes then decided to walk out.

These are true scenarios that I witnessed one day this week and they are things that I have seen for the past 4-5 years or so. I couldn't help think to myself and say...No wonder why we are so fat, lazy, we move poorly, we continue to get fatter, and why I think think the corporate fitness world has failed us. Why is it not a requirement that all people have to work with a coach before being sent off on their own?

On average right now I have between 20-25 training sessions a week that I have with clients in the gym and there are always other people watching. The clients I have right now are by the best overall group of clients I have had in years. They are by the most dedicated , hard working, and open minded people I have met in a long time. Now you have to be blind if you are other people watching how hard my clients work. They lifting, squating, pushing, pulling, twisting, slamming medicine balls, swinging kettlebells, using training ropes, and lunging up and down the gym. We following a systematic approach to training that guarantee's people results if they follow the nutritional plan that is recommended to them. (Taken from Rachel Cosgrove's book "The Female Body Breakthrough") I always wonder if to get what I am trying to do with my clients? Do they get the get the hint yet? Do they really think that walking for 60 minutes straight is going to get them results? Do they think that elliptical is going to burn that body fat they can't lose? Is the damn ab crunch machine going to reduce their mid section? Do they really think that doing lateral raises with 3lb dumbbells is going to get them stronger?

Wake up people. Times have changed. Bodybuilding...dead. Long slow cardio....dead. Crunches/sit-ups....dead. Low-Fat diets....dead. Ellipticals...worthless. Smith Machine...worthless. You are overweight for a reason. You not get stronger for a reason. You are not getting leaner for a reason. You are not improving your health for a reason.What we have been told in regards to our health and fitness for the past 30 years is all BS.

Go consult with a true professional about athletic/functional movement, intergrated movement, metabolic resistance training, and learn how the human body was made to be used. I am waiting for the day when there are only gyms when you sign up at when you work with a fitness coach at all times It is right around the corner and I cannot wait to see it happen.

Thanks for the quick rant before the weekend.

JP

2 comments:

  1. John....what you have been witnessing is the norm. Bottomline..they don't get it. You can only help the people that want to be helped and you can only help the people that get it. Like I said before....either people want to get healthier and in the best rip-roaring shape that they can or they don't! Same concept in the area of money. Either they understand that they must save/invest their money wisely or they don't. That's it....no secret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John...change takes time in our society. Those people truly think they are doing their body some good. In the early 1960s the government announced that it was unhealthy to smoke cigarettes. Well it took the next 10 years and people noticing other people who smoked were dying from lung cancer before they stopped smoking. During that time the cigarette companies continued to post advertisements on the positives of smoking.
    It's a matter of time...some will get it sooner and unfortunately some will get it later. Remember you are well read and educated on the subject...others are not.

    ReplyDelete