Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Forget the Curls Dudes!

This blog is inspired by a show my wife and I watched last night on MTV's True Life. The stories were about people who were addicted to exercise and one of the guys was a fitness model who was aspiring to be a body builder because he steroid freak friend was. So this guy wanted to get as big as his friend.

Anyway, I am watching this show and I could not help but just laugh. I actually was getting really angry. For a multiple of reasons...

1) This guy was trying to do something that was absolutely impossible. Wanting to get as big as the guys that cant even wipe their own a** ( I didn't technically swear Alicia) is just out of the question for this guy. You are not taking anything to make you get any bigger. You friend was obviously sticking a needle in himself.

2) The guy had about 46 different supplements on his counter. Get educated. The stuff you got sold at GNC doesn't work. Nothing can replace good quality nutrition plan with a proper protein supplement.

3.) Again, No one told this guy he wasn't taking the juice. Also, he should also be informed that a "true " body builder is an elite athlete..(There are not actually athletes considering the fact they can't perform a single stance of any sort) but they are in that 1% of the population who is just unbelievably gifted. They wouldn't even need to take anything extra and they still would be proportioned like Arnold. One more time, get educated. Stop reading the ridiculous steroid freak magazines that fill your head with just nonsense.

4.) Probably the funniest thing to me during the show. This guy would train his arms 4 separate times in one day. He would do an arm workout every 3 hours of the day thinking his arms were going to grow in one day. For starter's you're an idiot and if you know anything about muscle breakdown it takes 24-72 hours to restore itself so performing 4 different arm workouts in a day will not do anything for your growth period. Human growth hormone is released when we sleep not when we are awake. So, it is impossible for you to grow.
 And I was watching his training program.... this guy was performing nothing but isolated, single joint movements (typical steroid freak bodybuilding program). Here's what they guy was not informed in the magazines he is reading...bodybuilding is training that is based on a method...not science. From a physiological standpoint, typical building routines and programs do not make any sense. Key word..."logical." If you know anything about how the body works and functions, muscles work together. Our body is a systematic response. Contrary to popular belief muscle growth happens all over the body and not just in one muscle group at a time. What does that mean??? Doing biceps curls for an hour in a day will NOT give you bigger arms.

Ex. Study That Was Done Recently


Two Groups of Men Each were on the same  training program and same nutrition plan for one year. They did Deadlifts, Bench Press, Barbell Rows, Squats. Except one group of guys added in triceps extensions and biceps curls to their program. The difference in the two groups arm size after the year of training was no different even with the guys doing extra arm work.


Lesson learned here. Stick to your compound and multi-joint movements


PUSH
PULL
LIFT
SQUAT
TWIST
LUNGE
BALANCE ON 1-LEG



And guys save your self the time, headaches, and those ridiculous arm workouts you read from the steroid freak magazines.

JP

4 comments:

  1. Problem is that many people believe everything they read and don't check the credibility of the writer/author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John! Great blog. I have been hearing a lot about the kettlebell workouts. Would you recommend this form of workout at all?

    Thanks,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky,

    I'm glad you like the blog. I have a lot more information and stories that I will writing about here in the future.

    Kettlebells are a great tool. I using kettlebells in my programming because they are effective and very useful to teach power movements and or Olympic style exercises in a more efficient manner. I manly focus on pushing, pulling, lifting, squating, and swinging with kettblebells.

    I would not label myself as a kettbelbell guru or just a guy that uses only kettlebells.It is a fad that people caught on to, but I just use them because they are effective in my fat loss programming.

    Let me know if you have anymore questions.

    JP

    PS- Do I know you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do know me! We went to high school together. I just thought I'd get some advice on it before I got one. Thanks for the advice.

    Becky Suhajda

    ReplyDelete